Regional AdvisorBitsy Kemper
Assistant Regional AdvisorSally Spratt
Assistant Regional AdvisorLou Ann Barnett
Regional Illustrator CoordinatorRose Cooper
- Email Us
Membership CoordinatorNancy Barnet
Take a look at the map of our region. It is vast, extending from the Oregon border southward to Kings, Tulare and Inyo counties. Endless inspiration abounds from such majestic sites as Yosemite, the Eastern Sierra, South Lake Tahoe, the Mendocino coast, Lassen and Mt. Shasta, not to mention the …Read More
RA CORNER: News and Regional Updates:
Feb 25, 2015
* The deadline for conference manuscript critique submissions is February 28th. That means I need to HAVE YOUR MANUSCRIPT IN MY CUTE LITTLE HANDS by Feb 28th. Any later and you not only miss out on a critique, but you lose the money you spent on getting it critiqued. Don’t make me be the bad guy—get your manuscript in on time! There are no exceptions as the manuscripts are mailed out to the professionals that afternoon. Review conference details at https://canorthcentral.scbwi.org/events/2015-spring-spirit-conference.
* If you signed up for the Roundtable Critique session at Spring Spirit 2015, your first five pages or dummy are due by 5pm MARCH 1st. Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure they are formatted in the expected manner (ex: 1” margins all around, 12 pt font). If you miss the deadline, your spot will be given to someone else, and there are several people on the wait list ready to take your seat. No exceptions. (Your Roundtable leader will be assigned for you according to leader preference/expertise, we aren’t able to take requests.) Not sure if you’re signed up for that session? Check your conference registration details at https://canorthcentral.scbwi.org/events/2015-spring-spirit-conference/. You’ll need to be logged into the SCBWI site to access that information.
* March 15th is the deadline for early conference registration. Prices increase at 12:01am PDT March 16th. Register here: https://canorthcentral.scbwi.org/events/2015-spring-spirit-conference/
Chance to promote your 2015 titles
Speaking of our annual conference Spring Spirit 2015…If you’re published, we’d like to show off your most recent book covers throughout the day. Whether you are a PAL member (http://www.scbwi.org/about/levels-of-membership-2/) or published through a nontraditional route, you are invited to participate in our Spring Spirit Conference slide show featuring member books.
1. Books published using traditional (i.e. PAL) or nontraditional publishing models (i.e. self-published)
2. Release date: Jan. 1, 2014-present. Limit: 2 covers per person.
3. You must be a member of SCBWI California North/Central OR a member of another SCBWI region attending the Spring Spirit Conference (sorry non-members are ineligible)
1. Book covers only. Must have release date Jan 2014 or later.
2. JPEG files no larger than 1M.
3. Email the cover(s) to Beth Hull ( email@example.com ), with subject line: SpSp Slide Show
4. Body of email: your book title; your name as you would like it to appear in the slide show; your occupation (author, illustrator, author/Illustrator)
5. Deadline: February 28 at 5:00 pm
6. If you are NOT attending the conference but you ARE a member of California North/Central, you may still submit up to two cover images (as long as you meet the above eligibility requirements).
Jan 20, 2015
1. Have you seen the latest and fabulous issue of ACORN, our regional newsletter? Beth Hull worked hard on it, so please take a look! Go to our regional page, http://canorthcentral.scbwi.org, and look to the right. Find and click the ACORN link and you’re there! Or click here
2. Taxes as a freelancer or part time author/illustrator can be tricky. Wouldn’t it be great if a real live CPA gave us the inside scoop? Well one will! Mark your calendars for Thursday, March 19th, at the Sylvan Oaks Library in Sacramento. Please RSVP ASAP, as we expect a full crowd! Click here for more info.
3. As if that’s not enough, we also have our annual conference coming up on May 2. Manuscript and portfolio critiques are due in my mailbox by 2/28/2015, so don't delay with getting feedback on your work from a member of this year's awesome faculty, an amazing line up of editors, agents, art directors, best-selling authors, and all around great talent. You’ll want to sign up quickly, as manuscript critiques are first come, first served. And, some workshop sessions are already sold out! You’ll hear lots more from us on the conference as we near closer to the May 2nd date. For now, take a look and register already, will ya?